|
||
|
News Release - May 7, 2012 MARCH BUILDING PERMITS SET RECORDSaskatchewan building permits hit a new monthly record in March 2012 according to a report released by Statistics Canada today. Building permits totalled $224 million, up 17.1 per cent over March 2011, and well ahead of the 0.2 per cent decline posted on a national front. "With one of the strongest economies in the nation, there are busy construction sites in almost every part of Saskatchewan these days," Enterprise Minister Jeremy Harrison said. "This means both residential and non-residential sites are experiencing considerable growth over last year, creating job and business opportunities to support our growing economy and population." According to the report, building permits are up by 11.3 per cent between February 2012 and March 2012. On an annual basis, residential construction increased by 22.5 per cent March over March, while non-residential construction improved by 10.8 per cent. "The steady rise in building permits at record levels is good news for the construction sector," Harrison said. "The forecast in both the short and long term looks excellent for the industry as a number of major projects come on stream across the province that will also give a boost to residential construction." -30- For more information, contact:
Deb Young |
||