|
||
|
News Release - May 14, 2005 NEGOTIATIONS RESULT IN $300 MILLION FOR SASKATCHEWAN - WORK CONTINUES ON ENERGY ACCORD
Saskatchewan will receive a total of $300 million in federal funding in the latest effort to ensure fiscal fairness between the province and the federal government while work continues on Saskatchewan's energy accord.
"Our negotiations over the last week have resulted in another step forward in our continuing efforts to seek fairness and equity for Saskatchewan people," Premier Lorne Calvert said. "This money will help us address some critical needs including building a skilled and educated workforce for the future to help maintain our recent status as a have province." The new funding, to be delivered over five years, will provide: - $120 million for higher education, - $90 million for labour force development, - $25 million for cities, - $25 million dedicated to housing and infrastructure, and - $40 million dedicated to climate change initiatives. "I am very pleased that the federal government recognizes Saskatchewan's need for fairness with this funding," Calvert said. "We have made considerable progress over the last week but have not for a minute lost sight of our goal for a fair and equitable energy development accord. Such an agreement will allow us to make the necessary investments to continue with the development of a green and prosperous economy in Saskatchewan." Calvert said he is encouraged by steps currently being taken as federal officials work with their provincial counterparts to continue these important discussions. -30- For More Information, Contact:
|
||