Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
      Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Saskatchewan

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT COMMITS TO COST-SHARE FLOOD MITIGATION IN SASKATCHEWAN

Premier Brad Wall has received a letter from Prime Minister Stephen Harper committing that the federal government will cost share Saskatchewan's flood mitigation measures.

"I want to thank the federal government for its swift and positive response to this request," Wall said. "I spoke to the Prime Minister and wrote to him about the flooding situation last week, and he clearly understood the challenges facing Saskatchewan people and communities as a result of this year's flooding."

In his letter, Harper commits that the federal government, "will share on a 50-50 basis the costs of any permanent flood mitigation measures taken specifically for this year's flooding that are not otherwise eligible under the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements". Wall said examples of permanent flood mitigation measures include berms, diversion channels, culverts and retention basins.

The province currently estimates the cost of this year's flood mitigation measures at about $50 million.

In his letter, Harper also commits the federal government to work with Saskatchewan and other provinces on a more permanent mitigation strategy to enhance infrastructure to better withstand future floods.

-30-

For more information, contact:

Kathy Young
Executive Council
Regina
Phone: 306-787-0425
Email: kathy.young@gov.sk.ca
Cell: 306-526-8927

Related Documents
Icon  News Archives



Home/About Government/News Releases
© 2013 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.