Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
       Thursday, April 11, 2013
Saskatchewan

BREAK AND ENTER OFFENCES REDUCED IN SASKATOON

A 16 per cent decrease in the number of break and enters in the first four months of 2008, compared to the same time last year, is clear evidence the Saskatoon Targeted Crime Reduction Strategy is delivering results.

In the first four months of 2008, there were 534 break and enters in Saskatoon, compared to 640 for the same period last year. The statistics are even more encouraging for homeowners, as there has been a 25 per cent decrease in the first four months in 2008, dropping to 307 residential break and enters from 411 in the first four months of 2007.

"I am pleased to see this significant reduction in break and enters in Saskatoon," Justice Minister Don Morgan said. "The real bonus of Saskatoon's targeted crime reduction strategy is that more home and business owners can feel safe in our community."

The strategy was developed in 2004 in response to public concerns about the high number of break and enters in Saskatoon. It combines intervention, supervision and rehabilitation of offenders with public education and community awareness of the issue of break and enter crime.

"Community safety is a top priority of this government," Corrections, Public Safety and Policing Minister Darryl Hickie said. "This is another concrete example of how our government is delivering on our promise of safety and security for all Saskatchewan residents."

The Crime Reduction Strategy is a partnership among the Saskatoon Police Service, the Saskatoon Tribal Council, Métis Family and Community Justice Services, Central Urban Métis Federation, Inc., the City of Saskatoon, and the Ministries of Justice and Attorney General, Corrections, Public Safety and Policing, and Social Services.

"We are very proud of the reduction in break and enters in Saskatoon," Saskatoon Police Chief Clive Weighill said. "This strategy demonstrates the importance of working with our community to reduce crime."

In 2007, 2,140 break and enters were reported, compared to 4,709 break and enters in 2003.

-30-

For more information, contact:

Laur'Lei Silzer
Justice
Regina
Phone: 306-787-0775

Judy Orthner
Corrections, Public Safety and Policing
Regina
Phone: 306-787-5883

Icon  News Archives



Home/About Government/News Releases
© 2013 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.