News Release - August 11, 2005
SASKATCHEWAN GAMING CORPORATION AWARDS SCHOLARSHIPS
The Saskatchewan Gaming Corporation rewarded the achievements of 14 Saskatchewan post-secondary students by awarding $10,000 in post-secondary scholarships.
Each year, the Saskatchewan Gaming Corporation (SGC) provides scholarships to encourage students to pursue full-time post-secondary education. Students demonstrating commitments to balancing work, education, family responsibilities, and/or being active in the community are rewarded for their excellence.
"As a community-minded corporation, we are delighted to have a wonderful scholarship program in place that encourages Saskatchewan residents to pursue post-secondary education," SGC President and CEO Marty Klyne said. "These individuals honoured today are unquestionably deserving and we are thrilled to help them pursue their goals."
The 2005 Post-Secondary Scholarship winners are:
University: Entrance and Undergraduate scholarships valued at $1,000 each
• Megan Skilliter, Hudson Bay, University of Regina, Administration
• Shylah Nokusis, Regina, First Nations University of Canada, Education
• Robert Currie, Pense, University of Regina, Science
• Joshua Simiar, Prince Albert, University of Saskatchewan, Commerce
• Kelly Leahy, Watrous, University of Saskatchewan, Commerce
• Robyn Michon, Regina, University of Regina, Administration
Regional colleges and technical institutes: scholarships valued at $500 each
• Vivian Merasty, Pelican Narrows, SIAST, Photography
• Nicole Parkvold, Saskatoon, SIAST, Nursing
• Janna Pratt, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Indian Institute of Technology, Management Studies
• Cheryl Holtz, Moose Jaw, SIAST, Accounting
• Kirby Leisle, Morse, SIAST, Administration
• Chantel Short, Crane Valley, SIAST, Interior Decorating
• Suzanne Blair, Moose Jaw, SIAST, Marketing/Human Resources
• Shari Fender, Regina , University of Regina Continuing Education
"We encourage excellence and at the same time are committed to equity and cultural diversity," Klyne said. "At least three of the university scholarships and four of the college or institute scholarships are awarded to qualified students of Aboriginal ancestry."
Saskatchewan Gaming Corporation will once again be awarding scholarships in 2006. SGC scholarship application forms are available at Casinos Regina and Moose Jaw and also at a number of colleges, institutes, regional colleges and universities throughout Saskatchewan.
For More Information, Contact: