|
||
|
News Release - March 25, 2011 RID EXPANDS TO PRINCE ALBERTPrince Albert residents can help improve road safety in their city with the expansion of the Report Impaired Drivers (RID) program. RID encourages the public to call 911 if they see a driver they suspect is impaired. "Drinking and driving is the number one cause of fatal crashes in Saskatchewan," Minister responsible for both SGI and the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority Tim McMillan said. "RID empowers the people of Prince Albert to help law enforcement find impaired drivers, so they can be removed from our roads. It also serves as a warning that there is now a whole city on the lookout for anyone driving under the influence." RID is a partnership led by SGI, SLGA and the Prince Albert Police Service, with support from Mothers Against Drunk Driving, and Students Against Drinking and Driving. RID was piloted in Saskatoon in March last year and expanded to Regina in September. Since then, police say RID calls have led to 137 impaired driving charges in Saskatoon and 20 impaired driving charges in Regina, as of the end of February this year. The program expanded to Moose Jaw earlier this week.
"The Prince Albert Police Service is committed to the fight against drinking and driving," Prince Albert Police Chief Dale McFee said. "We strongly support the RID program and believe by engaging the public we can help reduce the number of impaired drivers on our roads, leading to increased safety for the entire community." -30- For more information, contact:
Kelley Brinkworth
David Morris
Sgt. Kelly McLean |
||