|
||
|
News Release - April 29, 2003 RISK MANAGEMENT ASSESSMENT RAISES QUESTIONS
Saskatchewan wants the federal government to outline plans for its proposed business risk management programs under the Agricultural Policy Framework.
The federal government, with input from the Canadian Federation of Agriculture, recently conducted an independent third-party review of current programs, the proposed business risk management programs under the Agricultural Policy Framework, and a business risk management program proposed by industry. The executive summary of the report was released earlier this week. "This report raises questions about the level of funding committed by the federal government," Deputy Premier and Agriculture, Food and Rural Revitalization Minister Clay Serby said. "It has always been my position that we need programs that work for farmers and that the federal government has to provide adequate funding." The independent report indicates the risk management program proposed by the industry "resulted in better measures of stability…than does the proposed program." Industry's proposal would cost more than the existing federal government allocation of $1.1 billion. The report also made it clear that none of the program options addressed trade injury. "The assessment also makes it clear we need an ongoing program to address trade injury," Serby said. "Saskatchewan farmers want to know that the federal government will stand behind them and help them compete in international markets until we get World Trade Organization rules that stop international subsidies." -30- For More Information, Contact:
|
||