|
||
|
News Release - August 14, 2009 FIRST QUARTER FINANCIAL REPORT: PROVINCE STILL ON TRACK FOR SURPLUS BUDGETGovernment will manage downturn in potash revenues Saskatchewan is still on track to post a surplus provincial budget this fiscal year, in spite of a $1.3 billion reduction in projected potash revenues. This decline is significantly offset by higher-than-expected oil, taxes and other revenue, totaling $668.1 million. In order to maintain a balanced budget, Finance Minister Rod Gantefoer today released a plan to deal with this challenge which includes:
As a result of these measures, the government will show a net decline in revenues of $558.4 million, while still posting a pre-transfer budget surplus of $50 million for the 2009-10 fiscal year. In addition, government will transfer $399.5 million from the Growth and Financial Security Fund to maintain government debt at $4.2 billion. Gantefoer said that while the extremely volatile commodity markets pose serious challenges to provincial revenues, Saskatchewan's economy remains strong compared to other provinces in Canada.
"Despite the current challenges in the potash industry, we are the only province that has more people working than a year ago. We think that's a pretty positive sign and proof that our budget is working for Saskatchewan people." Gantefoer said that strong revenues last year allowed the province to forgo a $185 million CIC dividend. It has decided to take that dividend this year to keep needed infrastructure projects moving forward to maintain the province's economic momentum. As a result of the government's plan, the Growth and Financial Security Fund (GFSF) balance will be $841 million. "The fund - our fiscal insurance policy - is working exactly as it should. There is still a healthy balance as protection against further volatility in commodity markets or other unforeseen events," Gantefoer said. -30- For more information, contact:
Randy Burton
|
||