|
||
|
News Release - February 17, 2010 GOVERNMENT APPLAUDS SASKATCHEWAN VOLUNTEERS HEADING TO HAITI FOR LONG-TERM RECONSTRUCTION EFFORTSCorrections, Public Safety and Policing Minister D. F. (Yogi) Huyghebaert today is applauding the efforts of "Western Canada Relief for Haiti", a group travelling to Haiti to provide long-term solutions for smaller communities. While the government is not funding the effort, there is a special tie, as it is a group led by Roland LaFrance, Chief of Staff to First Nations and Métis Relations Minister Bill Hutchinson. "I'm proud to see the spirit of generosity and caring that has motivated so many of our residents to step up and offer their help to these people who need it right now," Huyghebaert said. "It is incredible to see people using their skills and experiences in these types of situations and make a commitment over the next few years to rebuild these communities." Partnering with the Canadian-based NGO Haiti Arise, the Saskatchewan delegation will be living and working inside a 12-acre tent city, assisting 3,000-5,000 refugees daily. Relief work will be provided in a variety of areas, from water and food distribution, to simple emergency medical care and the reconstruction of the compound's perimeter security wall, which collapsed in the quake. Saskatchewan Roughrider and Regina City Councillor Chris Szarka is also part of the team of seven who will be heading to Haiti on March 5. "Based on the outpouring of aid in the aftermath of the earthquake, it is clear that the people of Saskatchewan are committed to supporting the Haitian people in their long-term reconstruction efforts," Szarka said. "Our delegation is travelling to Haiti to demonstrate this Saskatchewan commitment and to pledge that the people of Haiti will not be forgotten or forsaken." Another government employee, Haitian-born and raised Carlos Petit-Homme, now a resident of Regina and Gaming Control Officer with the Saskatchewan Gaming Corporation, will also be heading home to offer support. "Our vision is of formally structuring a local group - ‘Western Canada Relief for Haiti' - in tandem with other organizations, to assist Haiti in its recovery, by providing long-term support for their rebuilding efforts," Petit-Homme said. The Saskatchewan delegation includes:
The Minister also wanted to thank the hundreds of people who have travelled to Haiti to help with relief efforts, and the more than 150 corrections staff who volunteered for a work assignment in Haiti being organized by Correctional Service Canada. If the federal mission goes ahead, one or two of these volunteers will be chosen to represent Saskatchewan in a contingent of provincial and federal corrections workers from across Canada. Huyghebaert also commended the people of Saskatchewan for continuing to raise funds for Haiti relief and reaching out to rebuild the disaster-stricken country. Saskatchewan corrections staff and inmates from facilities, probation offices and community training residences have risen to the call for aid and raised nearly $7,000 to support the Haitian relief effort. "Corrections staff are showing that pride in serving people and communities can extend far beyond our own borders," Huyghebaert said. "It is also heartening to me that offenders can look beyond their own situations to help others who are in desperate need of support." Corrections staff raised their $4,300 share of the total donation through holding bake sales, book sales, silent auctions and bottle drives. The $2,300 raised so far by inmates was accomplished through money donated from the inmates' own trust accounts and from wages earned through work assignments. -30- For more information, contact:
Judy Orthner
Carlos Petit-Homme |
||