|
||
|
News Release - March 14, 2005 MONTGOMERY FAMILY SETTLEMENT REACHED
A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit filed against the Government of Saskatchewan by the family of the late Helen Montgomery. The suit arose out of the 1997 death of Helen Montgomery at the hands of two youth who had been placed in open custody at her North Battlelford community home.
Under the terms of the agreement, the Government of Saskatchewan will pay the family members of Helen Montgomery $142,500. "We have conveyed our profound sympathies and apologies to the Montgomery family and I am releasing a copy of that statement today," Corrections and Public Safety Minister Peter Prebble said. As part of the settlement, the provincial government will present an annual community service award in memory of Helen Montgomery. The details of this award are being developed in consultation with Ms. Montgomery's family. "The Community Homes Program is recognized as an important and valuable service and had undergone a number of policy and program changes following an independent review in 1998," Prebble said. "The selfless work of people like Helen Montgomery in their communities has helped hundreds of Saskatchewan young people to turn their lives around." -30- For More Information, Contact:
|
||