|
||
|
News Release - April 10, 2013 CORRECTIONS TO REVIEW RESTRAINT PROCEDURES IN LIGHT OF PRISONER ESCAPE AT HOSPITALSTEVEN ERIC BEST, who had escaped custody while being treated at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon yesterday, was apprehended last evening by the Saskatoon Police Service. “I am thankful that there were no injuries resulting from this incident,” Minister responsible for Corrections and Policing Christine Tell said. “The follow-up investigation by Corrections will determine whether proper procedure was followed, or if processes should be changed to ensure greater security in these cases.” Early reports indicated that Best used a razor blade to escape from the corrections workers who were supervising him while he was in hospital. He had leg shackles on at the time but early information suggests some of the restraints had been removed when he requested to use the washroom. This is currently under review to see if proper procedures were followed and whether current procedures are adequate. "We appreciate the work of the Saskatoon Police Service in helping bring a quick close to this incident,” Tell said. Best’s earlier charges include Robbery, Causing Bodily Harm, Possession of a Prohibited Weapon and Possession of a Firearm Contrary to Order. It is expected that additional charges related to this incident will be laid. -30- For more information, contact: Janice Wilby Judy Orthner |
||