Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
       Thursday, April 11, 2013
Saskatchewan

PROVINCIAL HISTORIC PARKS RECEIVE CENTENARY FUNDING

Cannington Manor, Fort Carlton, Wood Mountain Post, Fort Pitt and Steele Narrows Provincial Historic Parks are receiving upgrades to improve their visitor services, thanks to the province's Centenary Fund.

"We are pleased to have the opportunity to upgrade our provincial historic parks," Environment Minister Buckley Belanger said. "This initiative will ensure park visitors will experience and enjoy a piece of this province's rich history."

Cannington Manor's Visitor Centre, which was upgraded last year, will have new exhibits installed this fall. The exhibits will tell the stories of the settlers who came to the west in the 1880s. The Bachelor's Cabin will also be reconstructed replicating the 1882 original building. Other major Centenary projects over the last three years include the restoration work on the 1888 Humphry/Hewlett house and exterior interpretive signage, water system at the village site, washrooms and a picnic shelter.

Fort Carlton will see upgrading to the catwalk along with repairs to the stockade wall. A new presentation area and shelter will be developed for use in the picnic area. A new exhibit, including an audiovisual presentation on Treaty 6 is being developed in conjunction with First Nations.

New exhibits are planned for Wood Mountain Post. The exhibits will tell the story of the North American Boundary Commission, which marked the 49th parallel, the early Metis hunters in the area as well as the North West Mounted Police who established their first western post here. The story of the Sioux who came to this area of Canada to seek refuge will also be told.

New interpretive signs are being developed for Fort Pitt and Steele Narrows. The history of these parks range from the inland fur trading post of the Hudson's Bay Company in 1829 to the last battle of the North West Resistance in 1885. These new signs will present this history in both English and Cree.

Total estimated cost of these projects is $560,000, with completion expected by late fall of 2003.

Funding for these projects comes from the province's four-year, $120 million Centenary Fund. The Centenary Fund was developed so that important capital projects can be completed as Saskatchewan approaches its centennial in 2005.

-30-



For More Information, Contact:

Janette Hamilton
Environment
Regina
Phone: (306)787-9571
Icon  News Archives



Home/About Government/News Releases
© 2013 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.