|
||
|
News Release - March 22, 2013 MINISTER CHEVELDAYOFF DISCUSSES RUNOFF PREPARATIONS WITH GOVERNOR DALRYMPLEWater Security Agency Working Closely with United States Officials As part of this spring’s run-off surveillance and planning, Minister responsible for the Saskatchewan Water Security Agency Ken Cheveldayoff discussed preparations with North Dakota Governor Dalrymple this week. “I wanted to follow up on the Governor’s visit with Premier Wall last year and ensure the lines of communications were open and that we are reviewing planning and preparations to reduce risk of flooding for both jurisdictions together,” Cheveldayoff said. Also participating in the call were Mayor Curt Zimbelman of Minot, representatives from United States Senator John Hoeven’s office, officials from the Water Security Agency, the United States National Weather Service, United States Army Corps of Engineers, United States Fish and Wildlife Service and the North Dakota State Water Commission. Representatives of the International Souris River Board advised that Water Security Agency had released water from Rafferty and Alameda reservoirs to provide storage for the spring runoff. Water levels required for the reservoirs under the agreement between Canada and the United States have been achieved. The board representatives also indicated they are anticipating a one in 10 runoff event in 2013. Cheveldayoff advised Governor Dalrymple that Saskatchewan was continuing to release water from Rafferty and Alameda reservoirs and, depending on ice conditions, will look at opportunities to further increase storage in the reservoirs before the runoff starts. “It was a very positive meeting,” Cheveldayoff said. “We agreed that appropriate preparations are being made and we are in good shape as we prepare for the snow to melt.” -30- Patrick Boyle |
||