|
||
|
News Release - November 24, 2008 $76.9 MILLION COMMITMENT TO PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES BEGINS IN OUTLOOKThe government's $76.9 million commitment to eliminate the waitlist for specialized, residential, and day-program services for people with intellectual disabilities began its rollout today with the announcement of two new six-space group homes and 15 new day-program spaces in Outlook. "Support for people with disabilities is a priority of our government as we strive to ensure that everyone in Saskatchewan benefits from the province's prosperity," Social Services Minister Donna Harpauer said. "These new services in Outlook are just the beginning. Over the next four years we will continue to announce investments in support of people with disabilities across Saskatchewan until all those on the current waitlist receive the services they need." "Our government wants to ensure that people with disabilities are included in a meaningful way in the economic and social life of the province," Rosetown-Elrose MLA Jim Reiter said. "Today's announcement will help 15 people with intellectual disabilities live safe, secure and meaningful lives in their community. Outlook is the first of many towns and cities across Saskatchewan that will benefit from our government's determination to eliminate the waitlist for people with intellectual disabilities." The new group homes and day-program services in Outlook will be administered by Variety Place Association, a community-based organization which has demonstrated a strong commitment to deliver quality, sustainable services for people with disabilities. Many of the new services in Outlook will begin as early as January 2009. The province-wide $76.9 million investment, announced last month, is being phased in over four years and includes $27.8 million in funding for capital projects. In addition, approved private-service home providers will be provided with enhanced supports, and day programming standards are being updated to ensure that the appropriate level of support is provided to people with intellectual disabilities. The $76.9 million initiative is the largest investment in Saskatchewan history to support people with intellectual disabilities. The government has also announced its commitment to develop a new income assistance plan specifically for people with disabilities, separate from the Saskatchewan Assistance Program. The first phase of the new income plan will be implemented in 2009-10, following consultations with the disability community. -30- For more information, contact: Brian Miller |
||