Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
       Thursday, April 11, 2013
Saskatchewan

PROVINCE SEEKS INTERVENER STATUS IN CWB LAWSUIT

The Province of Saskatchewan is seeking intervener status in the legal proceedings between the federal government, the Canadian Wheat Board and the Friends of the Canadian Wheat Board.

Agriculture and Food Minister Mark Wartman announced today that the Province will be intervening in the court proceedings, which challenge the legality of the federal government's removal of barley from the Wheat Board's single desk.

"The majority of all barley marketed by the CWB originates from Saskatchewan producers," Wartman said. "This government will not sit idly by when our farming community could potentially lose $40 million in premiums. We feel that we need to have our say in court, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

Last month the federal government changed regulations to remove the CWB's single desk selling authority as of August 1, 2007.

"We maintain that the barley plebiscite held by the federal government was flawed," Wartman said. "We believe that producers should be the ones making the decision through a fair and unbiased process, and we're going to do our best to make sure that is done."

The Government of Saskatchewan stands by its position that the federal government does not have the legal authority to make these changes through regulations. It continues to believe that legislative changes should be required through the House of Commons.

-30-

For more information, contact:

Jenna Robertson
Agriculture and Food
Regina
Phone: 306-787-2359
Email: jroberts@agr.gov.sk.ca

Icon  News Archives



Home/About Government/News Releases
© 2013 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.