|
||
|
News Release - June 20, 2008 NEW INDUSTRY STANDARD HELPS PROTECT MINE WORKERSThe Government of Saskatchewan is strengthening the safety of mine workers with an increased industry standard that will require physical barriers in areas that may contain hidden hazards. Previously, warning signs were the accepted industry standard to prevent entrance into hazardous areas. The change comes after an investigation into the 2007 fatality of a worker at the Seabee Gold Mine. "Occupational Health and Safety Division is working hard every day to create a culture of health and safety in workplaces throughout this province," Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) executive director Glennis Bihun said. "As a consequence of this, investigation areas of improvement in OHS standards for the industry were identified." OHS has also repealed this item in the Notice of Contravention against Seabee Gold Mine because it involved a change in industry standard from what had been acceptable immediately prior to the accident. A letter has been sent to all members of the mining industry to notify them of this change of standard. "It is critical that all workers and especially those working in areas of mines where hidden hazards may exist receive the information, training and supervision necessary to do their jobs safely," Bihun said. The Occupational Health and Safety Division inspects approximately 4,000 workplaces annually and provides training to more than 4,000 employer and worker representatives each year on their safety responsibilities. -30- For more information, contact: Gladys Wasylenchuk |
||