Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
       Thursday, April 11, 2013
Saskatchewan

PDAP STRENGTHENS SUPPORT FOR FLOOD-STRICKEN COMMUNITIES

The province is again taking steps to assist flood victims in Saskatchewan. The Ministry of Corrections, Public Safety and Policing (CPSP) has hired additional structural engineers, primarily for use in the communities of Maple Creek and Yorkton. Four new engineering firms have been hired, bringing the total of engineering firms assigned to file reports to six. Structural engineers are needed to determine which structures can be repaired and which need to be demolished. This response is subsequent to inspections of post-flood residences and properties, which are now complete.

At the same time, CPSP has dispatched additional independent claims adjusters to help assess the kind and extent of damage being reported by claimants. To date, the Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) has paid out approximately 2,050 claims, totalling around $6.7 million.

In Yorkton, city officials recommended 46 residences and businesses needed structural inspections. In Maple Creek, that number was 67, determined by CPSP building inspectors.

"Residents have told us they needed the assessment stage of recovery done so they could start work on repairing or replacing their damaged property," Corrections, Public Safety and Policing Minister D.F. (Yogi) Huyghebaert said. "We've responded with additional technical personnel to help the process go faster."

PDAP guidelines and payment criteria have been changed to include an increase in the advance payment from 40 per cent to 60 per cent of the amount of the claim on approval of the adjuster's report. With the additional adjusters, these reports will be coming in quicker.

Additionally, depreciation rates on tangible property such as drywall, furnaces, hot water heaters and concrete have been reduced to better fit the real pre-disaster value of such items. The ministry will continue to respond to the most critical needs by processing claims for replacement of furnaces and hot water heaters on a priority basis. Consideration is also being given to other measures that will expedite the replacement of furnaces and hot water heaters and make them more affordable to flood victims.

"This government is concerned about the needs of the communities and individuals needing support to rebuild their lives," Huyghebaert said. "We are working hard on solutions that help us move this support faster to where it's needed. We have had unprecedented flooding in our province this year, and our government wants to do everything we can to ensure Saskatchewan people are taken care of."

As well as bringing in adjusters and other professionals to help flood-stricken areas in Saskatchewan, steps taken previously to improve flood assistance for Saskatchewan people include:

  • Deductible for private claimants reduced from 20 per cent to five per cent; 
  • Maximum amount of financial assistance available to principal resident claimants increased from $160,000 to $240,000; 
  • Maximum amount of assistance to eligible small businesses, non-profit organizations, boards, and primary agricultural enterprises increased from $160,000 to $500,000; 
  • Saskatchewan residency requirement for small business and agricultural enterprise owners eliminated; 
  • Maximum $30,000 relocation payment separated from property claim; 
  • Regional park authorities' eligibility same as municipalities; and 
  • Deductible for municipalities and regional parks fixed at 0.15 per cent of their current taxable assessment.

-30-

For more information, contact:

Judy Orthner
Corrections, Public Safety and Policing
Regina
Phone: 306-787-5883
Email: judy.orthner@gov.sk.ca
Cell: 306-535-2233

Icon  News Archives



Home/About Government/News Releases
© 2013 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.