|
||
|
News Release - May 7, 2004 'BE PREPARED…DON'T LET YOUR FIRE GO WILD' CAMPAIGN UNDERWAY
The province's expanded 2004 wildfire prevention/education campaign began this week during National Forest Week and will be in full gear from May through September. The theme for the campaign is 'Be prepared…don't let your fire go wild'.
"With close to half of Saskatchewan's wildfires being caused by people, it is important to encourage those who live in, work in and enjoy our forests, to be careful with fire," Environment Minister David Forbes said. This year, provincial funding for wildfire prevention/education was increased to $700,000 from $300,000 in 2003. Last year's very successful pilot project for the area from Prince Albert to Lloydminster will be expanded to include the entire province. In addition to continuing the placement of print and radio ads, new elements in this year's campaign will include a television ad and a major thrust to encourage communities and property owners to reduce their danger from wildfire. There will also be increased fire hazard signage, print materials and public relations activities. The province's 2004 fire management strategies will attempt to integrate the benefits of natural wildfire on the landscape more fully than in the past and all fires can pose a threat to property, Forbes says people should do what they can to reduce their danger from wildfire. "Our strongest fire suppression efforts will go toward maintaining protection for human life, communities and valuable commercial forest resources," Forbes said. "People can do their part by paying even more attention to reducing their wildfire risks." Anyone who sees a wildfire should report it to the nearest Saskatchewan Environment office or through the province's toll-free Firewatch number at 1-800-667-9660. -30- For More Information, Contact:
|
||