Lieutenant Governor Dr. Gordon Barnhart invested seven people into the Saskatchewan Order of Merit in Saskatoon today.
"From its inception in 1985, the Saskatchewan Order of Merit has honoured citizens of uncommon achievement," Barnhart said. "As we celebrate the 25th anniversary of our province's highest honour, it is inspiring to reflect on the members of the Order; each has made a profound impact in our province. It is my privilege to invest the newest members and I thank them for their extraordinary contributions."
The recipients are:
- Mr. Casimir J. Broda, retired Owner and Operator of Broda Group, Kamsack;
- Dr. Sharon A. Butala, O.C., LL.D., Writer and Environmentalist, Eastend/Calgary;
- Elder Alma Kytwayhat, Elder-in-Residence, Saskatoon;
- Mr. Jack MacKenzie, retired Outdoor and Physical Education Consultant, Regina;
- Mr. Arne F. Petersen, Business Entrepreneur and Tourism Operator, Emma Lake;
- Mr. William Shurniak, LL.D., retired Financial Advisor, Limerick; and
- Mr. Geoffrey Ursell, Writer, Editor and Publisher, Saskatoon.
Five more recipients will be invested into the Saskatchewan Order of Merit on November 17 in Regina.
This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Order which is the province's highest honour. Including the twelve new members, there have been 168 appointments to the Order of Merit since its inception in 1985.
For more information on the Saskatchewan Order of Merit and its members, or the Saskatchewan Honours and Awards Program, please visit www.ops.gov.sk.ca.
For more information, contact:
Office of the Provincial Secretary