|
||
|
News Release - April 5, 2007 PROVINCE INVESTS $8.5 MILLION IN IMMIGRATIONMinister responsible for Immigration Pat Atkinson today announced details of an $8.5 million investment in 2007-08 to increase immigration and settlement initiatives in Saskatchewan. “Increased immigration is a key component of the Province’s plan to develop, attract and retain our labour force,” Atkinson said. “This year’s budget will allow us to continue working toward our ambitious goal of welcoming 5,000 newcomers annually by 2008 through the nominee program.” For the 2006-07 fiscal year, the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program issued 1,255 nominations, putting the province one year ahead of schedule. Compared to last year’s 454 nominations, this represents an increase of 176 per cent. Of the 1,255 nominees, 343 or 27 per cent, were destined for the Regina area. “Since we have already surpassed our target of 1,200, our new goal for the 2007-08 fiscal year will be 1,500 nominations,” Atkinson said. In continuation of its three-year immigration strategy, the Immigration branch will focus on increasing processing capacity, streamlining application processes, expanding marketing efforts and enhancing and expanding settlement services across the province. The Province is also continuing to work with key stakeholders to ensure that comprehensive, community-based services, including language training, are available to all newcomers. This year’s budget, which represents a 40 per cent increase over the 2006-07 budget, includes $5.7 million to support settlement initiatives such as employment and language services, credential recognition, capacity building and funding supports to settlement agencies. The other $2.8 million is for program and operating costs of the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program. -30- For more information, contact: Jill Tzupa |
||