|
||
|
News Release - November 17, 2009 PROVINCE FUNDS 21 NEW GROUP HOMES FOR PEOPLE WITH INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIESPeople with intellectual disabilities will have greater access to residential and other services following the announcement today of more than $5.4 million in capital funding for 21 new group homes across Saskatchewan. The funding is part of the province's four-year $76.9 million commitment to eliminate the waitlist of 440 people with intellectual disabilities who require residential, day and specialized programs that meet their assessed needs. Premier Brad Wall made the announcement at a gathering of volunteers and staff from Saskatchewan community-based organizations (CBOs) at the provincial Legislature. "Just over one year ago, we committed to eliminating the waitlist for residential and other programs and services for people with intellectual disabilities in Saskatchewan," Wall said. "We remain steadfast in that commitment, and this latest $5.4 million allocation for 21 new group homes across Saskatchewan demonstrates that resolve." The funding will be provided to 15 CBOs in the communities of Estevan, Humboldt, Meadow Lake, Porcupine Plain, Preeceville, Prince Albert, Regina, Rosthern, Saskatoon, Swift Current, Waldheim and Wilkie. By the end of this fiscal year, 60 per cent or 264 Saskatchewan people with intellectual disabilities who were previously waitlisted for services will have received the help they need. The government is on pace to eliminate the 440 person waitlist by 2013. "Thanks to our historic funding commitment, and to the many enhanced partnerships with our CBOs, we have made significant progress on cutting the waitlist," Wall said. "This is another clear example of Saskatchewan moving forward as we strive to ensure that people with intellectual disabilities lead more fulfilling, independent lives." -30- For more information, contact:
Brian Miller |
||